Thursday, August 11, 2011

herbs and spice make everything nice




Clever Nettle is an Etsy shop run by Anja Louise Verdugo, of Portland Oregon. She sells vintage and hand made clothing.




this is a 1980's Yukiko Hanai skirt. that fabric! that name! it has pockets, y'all.  pockets!


Vintage 90's "Spring Garden Violet" skirt. and...


1950's Golden Rose Emerald Leaf skirt




 These are but one example of the nearly pristine vintage shoes she carries.


Anja Louise also keeps a lovely blog with fantastic photos! I learned here that she also designs and sews clothing, and makes patterns.




There are some really pretty names linked with this shop, from the shop name, to the shop owner's name, to the descriptions of the clothes and their designers.                                                       




Have you seen Rue magazine?  One thing in their "About" really resonated with me:

"great taste comes in many forms: the fringe of a carpet, the pull of a drawer, the lines of a sofa, the curve of a smile."

The flow of a name? What say you, Rue?  Something tells me with a name selection like Rue, you would say, "absolutely."   Taste in words (names) and tastes in the world of design often echo each other, don't they?

Further, the executive editor is Anne Sage, a spice name!





Also Check out Etsy shop, Carrot and Coriander.  



These are great for just a splash of that vintage acid-wash.

                                                                         
Finally, I present the beautifully named, Vetiver. Such pretty songs from this band!



Nettle, Rue, Coriander, and Vetiver are certainly some of the more appealing spice/herb name selections. These four names can hold a post on their own, but of course, I want to present a larger list of similar names.  I'll start with my favorites from the herb shelf and spice rack! I'll also reach for some plants used medicinally.


Herbs and Spice make names nice:
Nettle 


Rue 


Yarrow 


Vetiver 


Saffron (Saffie


Coriander


Minthe (variations: Mint, Minta, Minty)


Myrrh

Clove 


and the rest of the lovelies:
Anise


Amaranth


Annona


Anon


Ati


Betony


Basil (Bas)


Belladonna


Caraway


Cardamom  


Cassia


Endive


Ginger (nickname for Virginia)


Hemlock (yes, it's poisonous if ingested, but do you plan to ingest it? Do you plan to ingest your child? Wouldn't Juniper, Holly, Laurel and the like make us sick if we ingested those?)


Juniper


Kyo (ginger)


Lavender


Paprika


Pepper


Pilu


Mallow


Marjoram


Myrtle


Mulberry


Noni


Rosemary 


Salvia


Sorrel


Sage -- what I love about this one is the double meaning. My dad always called me the "Sage from the West", because I was studying philosophy (and lived west of him), and through his teasing, I heard what I thought would actually be a beautiful name!


Thyme -- I actually love this for a sort of double meaning, too, though thyme and time are spelled differently. When we were pregnant with Nona, a friend of ours joked that we should name her Thyme Bomb,sort of poking fun of my love of unusual names. I thought the joke was a clever one, and I kept it to myself that I actually liked Thyme.


Sabola


Woodrose 


Additional yummy names from todays post:


Anne


Sage 


Anja


Louise


Clever


Spring -- I love this as a nature name for both the season and the body of water, double duty!


Garden -- I love this one.


Violet


Golden (Goldie) -- so love it


Rose 


Emerald (Em, Rem, Remy) 

Leaf 


Yukiko (Yuki, Kiko, my own nickname growing up!)


What do you guys think about herb and spice names? 

I leave you with this fun, summery song by Vetiver. Have a listen while summer lasts. Enjoy!



Happy Friday!

3 comments:

  1. Herbs and spices make rich pickings for wonderful names, especially if you consider the various healing properties they possess too, symbolism, elements, etc. Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Rue (alas, it doesn't flow with my last name). Anise, however, I think would be a bad choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Nook, totally agree!

    ReplyDelete